Crock Pot Refried Beans

Read...

I know that not everyone is a fan of beans. My kids thought beans were gross until I made a batch of black bean brownies. Now, they ask me to make this to share with their classmates on their birthdays! One of my goals as a real foodie parent is to find a way to get my kids to like all the foods that are good for them. My first attempt at refried beans was a failure, but I’m hoping that this batch of crock pot refried beans will win them over for good. I say hoping, because I haven’t tested these out on my kids yet… YET.







CROCK POT REFRIED BEANS


PREP TIME

10 mins

COOK TIME

8 hours

TOTAL TIME

8 hours 10 mins


Serves: 5-7 cups


INGREDIENTS


1 lb dry pinto beans, thoroughly rinsed OR soaked overnight using this method, OR 6 cans cooked pinto beans, drained and rinsed 3 times

1 onion, peeled and quartered

1 jalapeno, top cut off and quartered

2 Tbsp minced garlic

3 tsp salt

2 tsp pepper

1 tsp cumin

9 cups water (up to half of the water can be substituted with chicken stock)


INSTRUCTIONS


 

  1. Place all the ingredients in a large slow cooker. I have this 6 quart slow cooker, but I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 4 quart.

  2. Cook on high for 8 hours if using dry or soaked beans. Cook on high for 4 hours if using canned beans.

  3. Place a colander over a stock pot and drain as much water as you can from the beans.

  4. Read Full Recipes >> dontwastethecrumbs.com